In The News

Welcome to our "In the News" page, featuring summaries of Internet news, relevant to Catastrophism and Ancient History.

Show Titles only | Show summaries

Datesort icon
17 May 2011
The YD impact theory by a comet - is gone with the wind

At ... it seems that Allen West, one of the co-authors of The Cycle of Cosmic Catstrophe and various articles on the YD impact hypothesis, is not a qualified geologist. It seems most of the initial field work behind the comet came from Allen West - and not by Richard Firestone or Warwick-Smith, and the suspicion is that he falsified the record.

17 May 2011
Post Normal and all that

At ... is a rant about Post Normal Science and its role in AGW doomsaying. Not sure if it is relevant as it has a wisp of conspiracy about it, but an interesting observation.

16 May 2011
Explore the Moon

NASA has created an interactive web based tool that incorporates observations from the past and present lunar missions that can be used to explore the surface of the Moon. Anyone with an Internet connection will be able to search and analyse a large number of lunar images etc. In particular, information from the Lunar Renaissance Orbiter satellite which is still whizzing around the moon will be available as well as images from past lunar programmes and missions (including Japanese and India missions to the Moon). Se 

16 May 2011
Earth in Upheaval

Velikovsky, on the first page of his book, Earth in Upheaval (Victor Gollancz:1956) made some extraordinary claims of the so called Alaskan 'muck' deposits in the Tanana River valley, a tributary of the Yukon River - but where did he get his information from? He quotes Rainey (1940), University of Alaska, and FC Hibben (1943), University of New Mexico, but he obviously read a lot of other sources. One of them might have been Ralph Tuck, a geologist who first worked in Alaska on the railroad and then worked for a mining company - in which muck played a prominent role.

14 May 2011
A northern odyssey

In the far north of Eurasia, at Byzovaya in the Ural Mountains, some kind of a Neanderthal mystery has emerged- and an explanation is hampered by C14 methodology. Stone implements said to date from between 34,000 and 31,000 years ago resemble scraping and cutting tools associated with Neanderthals - but the dating implies they belong to modern humans. In fact, the period between 40,000 and 30,000 years is problematic as far as C14 reliability is concerned - and it is the period when Neanderthals disappeared and modern humans emerged in their place. The question is why?

14 May 2011
Super flares in the Crab Nebula

At ... the Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope has detected a powerful series of flares coming from somewhere within the Crab Nebula - and provides two videos of the event. The first flare was seen on April 12th and the second on the 16th (but see also the web site which has already posted on this event). See also 

14 May 2011
Dark Matter

Also at 'What is 96 per cent of the Universe made of? Astronomers don't know' ... Richard Panek says that all the stars, planets, and galaxies make up just 4 per cent of the universe. The other 96 per cent is made of stuff astronomers can't see, detect, or even comprehend. They are tagged dark energy and dark matter and their existence is inferred based on gravitational influences on the little bits of the universe that can be seen - but themselves elude detection.

12 May 2011
Population explosion

The Daily Mail - see claims that new genetic research suggests only about 70 humans crossed the Bering Strait at the end of the Ice Age. They went on to populate the Americas - very quickly. However, the evidence of the DNA could also be interpreted as meaning just 70 people survived the Ice Age - or the Younger Dryas boundary event. Not the last word by far.

12 May 2011
Plague in the Americas?

An interesting article at the Costa Rica News reports on some archaeological discoveries in their country, on the slopes of volcanoes - presumably being very fertile locations for growing crops. At Turriable, the ruins of a city inhabited between 1500BC and 1400AD exist. It was abandoned over a century before the arrival of the Spanish. Another location on the shores of Lake Arenal - also close to a volcano - had a permanent settlement as early as 2000BC - but they also vanished around 1400AD.

12 May 2011

In a similar vein, at the semi mythical homeland of the Aztecs, known as Aztlan, has been sought far and wide with the most common location somewhere in northern Mexico or the SW of the US. It too is associated with a date not too distant from the Black Death as in this article it says the Aztecs migrated in the central Valley of Mexico in the 12th or 13th centuries - a 100 years plus too early. Plague would not cause a migration of a large number of people - but a drought may have.